Children are small for such a short time, so I want to do my best to capture your child at this time in their life to preserve the memory forever.
My goal is to make your session enjoyable and fun fo ryou and your child and to give you timeless portraits.
Here are a few suggestions that will help make your portrait session it’s best:
- Try to keep it simple. In this case, less is more
- I recommend that clothing be solid (no writing or branding) or have a simple pattern to it (we don’t want it to distract from your adorable child). When in doubt, just bring it along and we can discuss it at your session.
- You are encouraged to bring a few different outfits, just make sure they are easy to change in and out of.
- If you have multiple people in the photo, it’s best to have them all in the same style of clothing (casual, dressy, etc.)
- Try to schedule your session for the time of day that you know your child is at their best (babies and little ones do best after a nap). Please do not schedule your session for the time your child usually naps.
- You are welcome to bring along their favorite toy to make them feel more comfortable or to even incorporate into your session if you would like.
- Full tummies are happy tummies. Feel free to bring snacks for in between shots to keep your child happy. I suggest something that isn’t too messy.
- During the shoot, let the photographer take the lead in getting your child to smile, look a certain way, etc. I may enlist your help along the way. After all, who knows who to get those giggles out better than you do!
- If your child is old enough, explain to them a few days before the scheduled session what to expect. Then, do it again a little for each day leading up to the session.
- Try not to make it seem so important. While our main goal is to get great pictures of your children, they can sense when those around them are stressed out. Do your best to stay relaxed.
- And most importantly, HAVE FUN! I want you to have fun, but more importantly your child to have fun! After all, isn’t that what being a child is all about? And having fun is one way to almost guarantee you’ll get great shots.